Wherescape : Discovery From Files

rammohanavvs
Padawan

Hi,

I am using Wherescape 3D for my modelling and I have a scenario where the source system (file) has got 300+ cols. I am able to bring these cols to the model, however how can I bring the comments , datatypes of these 300+ cols into my model along with the attributes names.

2 REPLIES 2

Gallus
SQL-Fighter

Hello 

We stopped discovering files, that did not lead to the result we expected. Instead we have started defining an interface specification in csv/xls, this contains all the required information (and can in must cases directly be generated from the source system). It contains columns for schema-name, table-name, datatype, contraints, comments ,....

This Excel we convert to XML. The XML can then be used in 3d to create the source model (using your model-conversions).

We use this approach for an SAP interface, which has about 350 Files. For smaller File-Interfaces (with less than 10 Files) or if the source system cannot provide an automated Metadata-Export we do it manually in 3d.

Regards

Gallus

P.S.: We could organise a telco to show you the details (in the first week of January)

rammohanavvs
Padawan

Thank you Gallus and it would great for the telco during the first week.