Wherescape : Discovery From Files

rammohanavvs
Padawan

Hi,

I am using Wherescape 3D for my modelling and I have a scenario where the source system (file) has got 300+ cols. I am able to bring these cols to the model, however how can I bring the comments , datatypes of these 300+ cols into my model along with the attributes names.

2 REPLIES 2

rammohanavvs
Padawan

Thank you Gallus and it would great for the telco during the first week. 

Gallus
Contributor

Hello 

We stopped discovering files, that did not lead to the result we expected. Instead we have started defining an interface specification in csv/xls, this contains all the required information (and can in must cases directly be generated from the source system). It contains columns for schema-name, table-name, datatype, contraints, comments ,....

This Excel we convert to XML. The XML can then be used in 3d to create the source model (using your model-conversions).

We use this approach for an SAP interface, which has about 350 Files. For smaller File-Interfaces (with less than 10 Files) or if the source system cannot provide an automated Metadata-Export we do it manually in 3d.

Regards

Gallus

P.S.: We could organise a telco to show you the details (in the first week of January)