Fully managed cloud. 30-day FREE full featured trial. Start Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best way to create a reproducible example with SQL?

3_stripes
Contributor

Hello Team.

For the life of me, I struggle immensely when it comes to create a reproducible example in SQL. So much that I waste too much time describing the problem instead of just showing it. (which would also be of great help to whoever is helping me)

So my question is, what is the best way to create a reproducible example in SQL (EXASOL)?

1 REPLY 1

exa-Nico
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @3_stripes, I can give some experience working in support at least:

One thing that I do is to keep minimizing the query until you see what change makes a query go from 'working' to 'not working'. Once you've identified that, then you can go about making something simple and reproducible, but it's not an easy task. 

For example, if a query is returning a strange error, maybe you would remove WHERE conditions or unnecessary columns and keep re-running the query until you get something that works. Then you know that the last change you made impacted the query in some way. 

That being said, it can be quite time-consuming and very difficult, and not always very fruitful. But I hope it helps! 

Sports Enthusiast. Database Guy. Member of Team Exasol.
Having trouble? Just let me know!

Please Give Kudos if you find this post useful and also mark this as Accepted Solution if this is the required solution