Virtual schema where columns have null values

andreeroos
SQL-Fighter

I have created an Oracle virtual schema and it seems (from a quick look)  that all columns that contain at least one null value in the source table only are filled with null values. Have I missed something here?

EDIT:  This error was most likely due to the underlying table being updated at the time and didn't have anything to do with Exasol. You can remove this post if you would like. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

exa-MathiasHo
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you @andreeroos for adding the conclusion to your post: "This error was most likely due to the underlying table being updated at the time and didn't have anything to do with Exasol. [...]".

Even though the solution is not Exasol related, I not only not wanted to delete this but I wanted to highlight this for others who might have the same issue. 

To everybody else, please always ask away. There is no need to be hesitant. As you can see, this community is always happy to help!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

exa-MathiasHo
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thank you @andreeroos for adding the conclusion to your post: "This error was most likely due to the underlying table being updated at the time and didn't have anything to do with Exasol. [...]".

Even though the solution is not Exasol related, I not only not wanted to delete this but I wanted to highlight this for others who might have the same issue. 

To everybody else, please always ask away. There is no need to be hesitant. As you can see, this community is always happy to help!

View solution in original post

mwellbro
Xpert

Hi @andreeroos ,

can´t seem to verify:

--ORA:

CREATE TABLE TMP(
my_pk decimal(15,0),
some_txt varchar(200),
some_null_txt varchar(200)
);

insert into TMP values(1,'test','X');

commit;

insert into TMP values(2,'test',null);

commit;

--EXA:
CREATE VIRTUAL SCHEMA TMP
 USING ... WITH SQL_DIALECT='ORACLE'
CONNECTION_NAME=...
SCHEMA_NAME='TMP'
TABLE_FILTER='TMP'
;

select * from TMP.TMP;

mwellbro_0-1625822573110.png

Did you use an ORA-native connection instead of JDBC ? This sometimes does funny things to data types - don´t have 
the time to check it right now, might get around to it later.

Cheers,
Malte