Viewing Exasol Tables in Oracle

exa-Chris
Community Manager
Community Manager

Dear Community,
today I have the pleasure to ask questions on behalf of one of our customers.
The Customer is running Oracle with additional two projects on Exasol.

Is there a way to show Tables or Views in Oracle from Exasol. Like a reverse Virtual Schema

Looking for some input from our Oracle+Exasol Gurus

May be @tpetrik or @mwellbro or @exa-Kristof have an Idea?
Thanks

Christian

Connecting Customers, Partners, Prospects and Exasolians is my passion. Apart from that I cycle, listen to music, and try to understand what all those technical discussions really mean...
6 REPLIES 6

exa-Kristof
Team Exasol
Team Exasol

I've never used it that way before and I'm not sure if it's actually possible. The ORACLE_LOADER does not seem to offer a generic approach. But I'm no expert here, pretty sure Malte has better insights.

Can you elaborate on the usecase? Maybe there are alternative solutions to the customer's challenge.

mwellbro
Xpert

I think this is possible, though I´ve never seen it first hand - the magic words would be "Oracle Gateway" or a bit more specific the Oracle heterogenious connectivity.

It pretty much revolves around setting up a few configurations around your listener.ora and tnsnames.ora and using the generic ODBC interface that´s available ( dg4odbc ) , then you should be able to set up a database link to your Exasol system and use it in the typical database link kind of way ( so "select * from exa_dba_tables@my_exa_odbc".

Hope this helps to set you/them/anyone on the right track.

Cheers,
Malte

tpetrik
Xpert

In fact, there is an Oracle product called Oracle Transparent Gateway which is available for several databases like SQL Server, DB2, Teradata, etc. In addition, a gateway for ODBC exists which you can use for all other databases which are not directly supported. I used such a gateway some years ago for DB2 on mainframe and I can say that it works pretty good. However, do not use it for high performance connections with massive data loads - this does not work.

The gateways are licensed by server (meaning the Oracle DB server).

Pls also check the MOS note 1083703.1

khruzins
Padawan

Thank you very much , i will try it

exa-Chris
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Sabine (@khruzins), if this solves the problem, please 'Accept' the solution. Thanks Christian

Connecting Customers, Partners, Prospects and Exasolians is my passion. Apart from that I cycle, listen to music, and try to understand what all those technical discussions really mean...

khruzins
Padawan

Hi exa-Chris,

first what I have to do Accept the solution here in the community

second it will take some time when it is possilbe to try it really

If infromation is enaough at the moment, I can accept the solution m but do not know how

Thanks for all the information everbody