Updating view comments

PeterK
Xpert

I have a question about https://www.exasol.com/support/browse/IDEA-327 

It's marked as resolved but it still seems the only way to update view comments is via a CREATE OR REPLACE VIEW. Unfortunately, as noted in the IDEA, this causes object privileges to be dropped. Is there a way to add/update view comments that doesn't cause privileges to be dropped?

Peter

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
6 REPLIES 6

exa-Matze
Team Exasol
Team Exasol

Hi Peter,

Views in Exasol are considered as aliases for queries and immutable due to technical restrictions (privileges on views are stored in a kind of ACL attached to users or roles).

That said, there is currently no option to provide comments on views after creation, recreation is mandatory to add comments.

Ideally vote for the IDEA anyway. This will be considered by our Product Management Team for features and improvements

PeterK
Xpert

Thanks @exa-Matze - Unfortunately it is not possible to vote for the IDEA because it is marked as Resolved. Should it be reopened?

exa-MathiasHo
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @PeterK,
I just talked to the product management and it would be better if you could create a new idea with the requirement that the object privileges are not dropped.

Before you do that, what would you say, how urgent is that idea to you? Are you more frustrated that the privileges are dropped or that you can't add a comment afterwards?

PeterK
Xpert

Thanks @exa-MathiasHo  - I will create a new idea. It is not urgent - more of an annoyance. We use object comments quite a bit to attach arbitrary metadata to the objects. For us the order of annoyance (most to least) is:

1. we have to be extra careful not to accidentally change the schema scope or view definition even when just updating the comment
  2. view DDL triggers alerts for us (for audit purposes) but we don't want comment updates to trigger alerts
  3. the view comment create/update code has to have special case handling in this regard compared to other objects
  4. there is the possibility of object privileges getting lost (though honestly this has not bitten us yet)

exa-MathiasHo
Community Manager
Community Manager

@PeterK Ah, I see. Thank you for the explanation. I don't want to create unrealistic expectations... As it seems not that urgent, It will probably not be worked on soon. Nevertheless, creating an idea is always a great way to keep it on our radar. Thanks again! 🙂