Unwanted EC2 volume when using AWS cloud tools

ADoerr
SQL-Fighter

Hi Exasol community,

I am currently moving my private Exasol project to the AWS cloud.

So I used Exasol Cloud Tools to configure a small single node instance with just 40GB of data as

my use-case is small and I of course want to reduce the expensive ESB storage costs.

Unfortunatly the create cloudformation template always creates a 2nd volume with a size of 200GB.

ADoerr_0-1615406252662.png

What's this volume used for?

I tried to find this volume in the cloud formation template, but was not able to spot it.

Is it possible to remove it or reduce the size?

Thanks,

Andre 

4 REPLIES 4

mwellbro
Xpert

Hi @ADoerr ,

just of the top off my head: wouldn´t that 2nd volume be where os / data / swap is located ? I.e. you can of course limit your "payload" data volume as you´ve done
but I´d assume that there isn´t much leeway when it comes to the actual DBMS-relevant storage.

Cheers,
Malte

ADoerr
SQL-Fighter

Yes, I am sure this volume is for the DMBS itself.

What's just strange for me is the size. I am using a small m5.large instance with the defined data amount.

This is about the sizing of my community edition. But the community edition never consumed more than 50GB of space

for data and DBSM relevant storage together. 

mwellbro
Xpert

Okay, didn´t know the community edition was so small 😀... I think the "standard shelf cluster" takes 100 GB in that department + whatever you´d care to provision on the swap side.

If I were to guess, it could have something to do with the fixed relation between volume size and IOPs / throughput that necessitates this larger size ? Spoiler: AWS did announce some kind of gp-volumes that will no longer have this relation, so maybe, IF that´s the rational behind it, there´s hope for you yet 😉

ADoerr
SQL-Fighter

That's a good hint!

Will take a look, whether there is some kind of such a relation between size and IOPs.