Thursday Read: Winning the Olympics with Data

exa-Chris
Community Manager
Community Manager

Last week an amazing story happened (well in my eyes at least). An Austrian won the female olympic road race.

She created one of those rare moments where a few of my interests collide (Cycling, Data and Underdogs winning) and she created another olympic dream stories we all like. So what happened.

Anna Kiesenhofer, the sole starter for the austrian team outsmartened and outrode the complete world elite (especially the dutch, starting with 3 World Champions and a very strong supporter). But not only this. Anna is an 'amateur' (exPro) who trains herself, AND she is a lecturer in Mathematics in Lausanne. This is where it gets really interesting. After starting a career and becoming a pro, she opted out of the professional cycling world and became a full time acacemic, treating cycling as a hobby. She kept winning the national timetrials which got her the spot for Olympics, but always under the radar of the superstars.

She used Data to train herself and plan her ride: https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/anna-kiesenhofer-mathematician-amateur-cyclist-olympic-champion... . And finally succeded to win Gold. So Mathematics and Analytics succeded over pure power. Don't we like that?

This makes me wonder, do you already use Data in your private Environment? Do these experiences help you in your job?

If you just want to watch the race, here is a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DznyOCvk_5Y 

Enjoy the read and your weekend.

exa-Chris

P.S. @exa-James , @exa-Jesse how much Data do you use?

Connecting Customers, Partners, Prospects and Exasolians is my passion. Apart from that I cycle, listen to music, and try to understand what all those technical discussions really mean...
1 REPLY 1

exa-James
Team Exasol
Team Exasol

The emergence of biofeedback in cycling has created a way to analyze recovery and training that was never possible before. Also nowadays you can even plan your bike routes by seeing which roads have the most cycling traffic from historical data. We're in a data-rich world, and whether its cycling or business, being able to quickly analyze and respond to data is a requirement to succeed. 

@exa-Chris I love the story of Anna Kiesenhofer you highlighted. It was fun to watch the women's road race and see Anna celebrate across the finish line. I use data every day, and it's always fun to see the parallels in cycling, business and everyday life.