Snowflake JDBC driver connection for Exasol

Uthsavi
Padawan

I am using Exasol community edition and I want to read data from Snowflake to Exasol using Virtual schema.

I have added Snowflake JDBC driver in EXAoperation and BucketFS.

I have made the connection but when I run the query, it is not fetching any results.

This is my code to connect with snowflake.

Screenshot (242).png

My EXAcluster driver looks like this

Driver Name: SNOWFLAKE_JDBC_DRIVER

Main: net.snowflake.client.jdbc.SnowflakeDriver

Prefix: jdbc:snowflake:

Jar File: snowflake-jdbc-3.13.4.jar

I am stuck here, please help me on this

Thank you

6 REPLIES 6

ADoerr
SQL-Fighter

Hi 🙂

Could you please test, not adding the user, database and schema in the connection string.

We got a working JDBC connection to Snowflake and just used the URL including the account name.

For another JDBC driver, we also had to check this security option in the Exaoperations JDBC configuration.

Otherwise we got an error all the time.

Regards,

Andre

EDIT:

And another hint, as I just realized you are using the Community Edition.

Check you IP configuration of the DB, so that the DB has got internet access.

Uthsavi
Padawan

Hi Andre,

I am able to connect to the database, the connection query is running successfully. I tried without adding username,database name. But the test query keeps on running and it is not fetching anything.

This is my concern.

Screenshot (248).png

ADoerr
SQL-Fighter

As the query just keeps runnning, I would assume there's a problem with the connection between both servers and the connection timeout is just not happening.

Two possible tests:

In DBeaver create a dedicated Snowflake connection and try to connect, so you know, that the connection credentials are working.

To test, whether the Exasol JDBC connection is connecting to the Snowflake, you could check the running sessions on snowflake (https://docs.snowflake.com/en/sql-reference/account-usage/sessions.html). There you should be able to identify the Exasol session. If there's no session, it should be the case, that something (firewall, IP configuration) is blocking the connection.

Uthsavi
Padawan

Hi,

I disabled the security manager in configuration software and after that my query doesn't keep on running. But now it is throwing an error.

This is my query

Screenshot (261).png

And this is the error message :

SQL Error [ETL-5]: JDBC-Client-Error: Connecting to 'jdbc❄️//<account>.<region>.snowflakecomputing.com:443/?db=snow_flake_dremio&warehouse=compute_wh&schema=public&role=sysadmin' as user='<user_name>' failed: JDBC driver encountered communication error. Message: Exception encountered for HTTP request: <account>.<region>.snowflakecomputing.com: Name or service not known. (Session: 1702540879132491776) 

Please let me know how to resolve this error.

Thank you

ADoerr
SQL-Fighter

All your problem seem to occure because of a wrong network configuration of the VM instance.

Your MySQL Problem look similar.

So you have to get the network configuration of your VM instance correct.

But I am no expert for this.

And after this you also should take a look at you Exasol network configuration:

https://docs.exasol.com/administration/on-premise/manage_network/configure_network_access.htm

Regards,

Andre

exa-MathiasHo
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Uthsavi,

I was wondering have you found the solution for your issue? Maybe we can mark @ADoerr' comment as a solution. What do you think?