ODBC default settings (Fetch Array Size)

Padawan

Hi there,

We are trying to improve the performance of pulling data from Exasol using ODBC drivers since it's slower than we expected. We have already improve the network capacity, but we would like to know if we could also increase the data fetch size somehow. We know that this should be possible using ODBC standard parameters like ArraySize.

Does anybody know what is the Exasol default value for fetching data (rows or bytes) and if it's possible to modify it on the ODBC configuration?

Thanks a lot

5 REPLIES 5

Team Exasol
Team Exasol

Hi Miguel,
have a look here:
https://docs.exasol.com/connect_exasol/drivers/odbc/using_odbc.htm
The section "Best Practices" "Reading big data volumes" should help.
If not, let me know!

Padawan

Hello,

Thanks for your answer, I think those best practices are more oriented to code using the library on C/C++ or probably for ODBC developers. My question was more oriented to ODBC configuration paramenters and the default settings that come with the standard ODBC driver.

It would be something similar to the parameter fetchsize using the JDBC driver.

A bit of background, we are using   BI Tool which connects to Exa using a ODBC driver and we would like to know how are the settings in terms of transferring data between Exasol and the BI tool using the ODBC

Xpert

Hi @MiguelBer , 

while I do enjoy the vote of confidence from @exa-Chris I can´t say that I know the answer to either of your questions ( default value or how to set the fetch size ) - we tuned a bit in the realm of Informatica Powercenter when trying to optimize fetch sizes by enlarging DTM- ( process ) and Buffer Block Sizes so the application "probably" takes care of setting such odbc parameters "on the fly".

I do however have an Exasol Support Case open where I requested a complete list of ODBC-parameters ( no pressure there, @exa-Chris  😉  ), so once they put in an answer I´ll be glad to share it here.

Cheers,
Malte

Community Manager
Community Manager

Aaaargh, let me check...

Connecting Customers, Partners, Prospects and Exasolians is my passion. Apart from that I cycle, listen to music, and try to understand what all those technical discussions really mean...

Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Miguel,
I think I saw a similar conversation internally. Let me check and get someone to answer this. Unless @mwellbro knows this, as he knows everything 😁
Regards Christian

Connecting Customers, Partners, Prospects and Exasolians is my passion. Apart from that I cycle, listen to music, and try to understand what all those technical discussions really mean...