cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not able to login as sys after password change

kochjoe
SQL-Fighter

Hi there,

on a 7.1.6 I change the password within DBeaver with the following statement:<new_pw> is a placeholder

ALTER USER SYS IDENTIFIED BY "EXASOL" REPLACE "<new_pw>"

When I try to connect back to Exasol with user sys user and the new password I get an "authentication failed" error. What am I doing wrong? And how can I get access to database?

Any hint is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

kochjoe
SQL-Fighter

Thanks @exa-Nico The documentation is clear and I used it a wrong manner.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

exa-Nico
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @kochjoe the command you wrote there is backwards. According to the documentation, the syntax should be:

ALTER USER SYS IDENTIFIED BY "new_password" REPLACE "old_password"

But actually since you are changing the sys password (and therefore are logged in as sys or a DBA user), the REPLACE clause is optional. Please try to login with the text that was after the IDENTIFIED BY field. 

One other hint - make sure you encapsulate the password in quotes, otherwise the password is stored in all caps. For example:

• ALTER USER SYS IDENTIFIED BY "exasol" -> password is exasol
  • ALTER USER SYS IDENTIFIED BY exasol -> password is EXASOL

Edit

I just ran a quick test and confirmed that if you are a DBA (or sys), then the "old password" is not verified and everything after the REPLACE clause is ignored. So if that was the command you wrote, the password might just be "EXASOL" (in all caps)

Sports Enthusiast. Database Guy. Member of Team Exasol.
Having trouble? Just let me know!

Please Give Kudos if you find this post useful and also mark this as Accepted Solution if this is the required solution

kochjoe
SQL-Fighter

Thanks @exa-Nico The documentation is clear and I used it a wrong manner.