Fully managed cloud. 30-day FREE full featured trial. Start Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximum volume size

ecoh_dr
SQL-Fighter

Hello. I'm atteding the Exasol Administration Essentials course provided by Exacademy and I'm a little puzzled by how the maximum volume storage is explained both in the "manage Volumes" section and in the Volumes Overview doc page.

The latter states:

... These data volumes have the following characteristics:

• The Volume Size parameter of the volume determines the maximum size of the volume.
  • The actual size of the volume increases or decreases depending on the data stored.

At the very end of the page it's written:

Volumes grow automatically as long as enough disk space is available, typically because tables grow due to insert statements.

The Administration Essentials Student Guide states:

A data volume is increased by the database using the volume automatically if necessary and there is enough disc space available. If there is not enough disc space available to enlarge a data volume, the EXAStorage layer tries to shrink a temporary data volume. If this operation fails, the database that requested a volume enlargement has to be shut down.

Volume Size (GiB): The maximum size of the data volume in GiB.

So, will the database automatically increase a data volume up to the maximum Volume Size (GiB), or up to all the available free disk space?

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

exa-Uwe

Hi,

you are on the EXAStorage Volume page. I was on the EXASolution Instance page.

What you specify on the volume page is indeed an initial size. The other setting on the database layer is an optional upper limit for the data volume used by that database. I agree that it is a bit confusing and we may have to explain that in a better way.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ecoh_dr
SQL-Fighter

In the "Adding a Data Volume" video the speaker says:

I select the two data nodes, leave the volume size on 8 GB - it grows automatically - and add the storage disk of the two data nodes.

But... if it grows automatically, why the description of the Volume Size (GiB) parameter states: "The maximum size of the data volume in GiB"?

I'd say it should be changed in "The initial size of the data volume in GiB", and the doc article should be modified accordingly.

exa-Uwe

Hi ecoh_dr,

the maximum volume size is an optional setting you can specify at the database detail page:

exaUwe_0-1650016532373.png

If that is set, it's an upper limit, regardless if there's more space available on disk. If not set, the volume grows if needed as long as there's space on disk available.

Best regards

Uwe

ecoh_dr
SQL-Fighter

Hi Uwe, thank you for your reply.

I'm using the Community Edition (Exasol version 7.1.9 .ova on Virtualbox) and I'm not allowed to leave this parameter unset:

ecoh_dr_0-1650017977461.png

exa-Uwe

Hi,

you are on the EXAStorage Volume page. I was on the EXASolution Instance page.

What you specify on the volume page is indeed an initial size. The other setting on the database layer is an optional upper limit for the data volume used by that database. I agree that it is a bit confusing and we may have to explain that in a better way.