LDAP anonymous connection

alexandra
Padawan

Hi everyone,

I have read the documentation about authenticating database users with LDAP: 

https://docs.exasol.com/sql/create_user.htm

I couldn't see any technical user for exasol configured here, so I assume that exasol is making an anonymous LDAP connection to ask for user authentication.

Is that true?

If yes, is there a way to configure the LDAP connection with a technical user instead of having it anonymous?

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3

exa-Chris
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Alexandra,

thanks for the question. We are also checking internally about the best solution for your issue. Since we are nearing the Christmas break, some are already off.

We are checking who can answer the best way.

Regards

exa-Chris

Connecting Customers, Partners, Prospects and Exasolians is my passion. Apart from that I cycle, listen to music, and try to understand what all those technical discussions really mean...

exa-Ruslan
Team Exasol
Team Exasol

Exasol uses internally the ldap_sasl_bind_s call with the provided user credentials to authenticate the login user.  Without valid password the user can’t be authenticated.  In this case we don’t have “anonymous LDAP connection” or may be I don’t understand the question correctly?

alexandra
Padawan

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation.

My question is: when Exasol uses internally the ldap_sasl_bind_s call to ask LDAP about the provided user credentials, is the communication between the application Exasol and the application LDAP anonymous or is Exasol communicating with its technical user and its credentials, e.g. as admin?