Installing Exasol Community on a Mac M1 with UTM

lsacy
Padawan

VirtualBox does NOT work on the M1 so I am having a hard time to install it.

Anyone has experience with Exasol community version on a m1 mac?

Or can anyone show me how to install it on UTM? 

3 REPLIES 3

exa-Chris
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Isacy, just a heads up, I have this question in discussion internally. Hope to have an answer if our Docker Installation could be a solution. May be a Demo Account in our Cloud could start you off for the moment? https://www.exasol.com/test-it-now/cloud/#community Rgds Christian

Connecting Customers, Partners, Prospects and Exasolians is my passion. Apart from that I cycle, listen to music, and try to understand what all those technical discussions really mean...

mwellbro
Xpert

Hi @lsacy ,

I´m definitely not "Team Apple" but I looked into this and sadly, while I´m on vacation, I can´t gear up the
Mac that I have floating around to an OS that would support UTM ( or Parallels, for that matter... ).

Once I´ll get my vintage Apple "up to date" I´ll try and see if I can get this to work, already read that OVA´s aren´t going to work out of the box - well, we´ll see - or did you by any chance already get it to work or have a workable alternative ?

Cheers,
Malte

exa-Chris
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @lsacy ,

I got some feedback from our developers. It should be possible
"You need to emulate a x86 machine on top of the M1/ARM mac. This should be possible with qemu. However this is a different beast than launching stuff in VirtualBox (you need to install qemu with hombrew, convert the image, get the qemu config right, ...). And as already mentioned, it is not running native. Should be fine for a test database, but not if you want to test for performance."

This feels a lot like, possible but don't do it 😉 I know, not the best answer, but may be we can connect via DM and we find a different way for you to trial Exasol
Rgds

Christian

Connecting Customers, Partners, Prospects and Exasolians is my passion. Apart from that I cycle, listen to music, and try to understand what all those technical discussions really mean...