Fastest way to move data across Exasol servers

Padawan

Is there a faster way to move data across Exasol servers except creation of connection and using import. 

9 REPLIES 9

Xpert

I know there were plans at Exasol to have some sort of replication of tables between 2 databases with delta apply.

I think the name was ExaSync.

As far as I know @exa-StefanR was building this. Perhaps he could comment on this question ;)

Team Exasol
Team Exasol

I guess you are referring to the Exasol Data Replication Service.

We pretty much stopped active marketing as it had a strong overlap with the the cloud scalability feature and there were only few cases the DRS should be preferred.

Also, it would not use anything better than IMPORT/EXPORT for actual data transfer.

Xpert

"stopped active marketing" => is there any documentation on DRS available ? If so, where ?

Xpert

but would only do delta transfer ;)

Xpert

"Also, it would not use anything better than IMPORT/EXPORT for actual data transfer." => so there is no...ExaMagic ? ;)

Xpert

a bit more details would be great ? if you want to copy the entire database it might be of interest to use storage snapshots and mount them to a second instance.
if you think more along the lines of individual tables - how is IMPORT too slow or what are the impediments your´re facing ?

Cheers,
Malte

Padawan

Hi, Thanks for the comments. Use case is to export data from a huge table(~500M) to another server. Import takes long so wanted to check if there any workaround to do that faster. Running or multiple nodes or export to csv and import or something else.

Xpert

You might want to test if you can gain something by exporting to an SFTP-Server with a rather high number of files in parallel ( i.e. "EXPORT xyz into CSV AT MY_FTP
FILE 'c:\temp\file_01.gz'
FILE 'c:\temp\file_02.gz'
<about 100 addition FILE clauses>
)
and then lift them back into your other exa - I´d doubt that the "de-tour" over the additional server will help you much, but I was surprised in the past how fast this kind of export works. Just a thought.

Padawan

Thanks for the input!

Will give a try and will share findings.