Fully managed cloud. 30-day FREE full featured trial. Start Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exporting data from Exasol as CSV file to SMB target (Windows Share)

jz
Contributor

While Exasol natively supports CSV export to various targets (for instance SFTP), there is no option to select a SMB target directly.

To work around this limitation, I created an Airflow DAG consisting of two tasks.

Task 1 (PythonOperator) exports the data from exasol to a csv file on the Airflow Server. This is done via the Exasol Hook's (pyexasol's) export_to_file function.

Tasks 2 (PythonOperator) copies the csv to the SMB target. This is done using python smbprotocol (smbclient) package.

Questions:

• is there another / better workaround or solution to export Exasol data to csv file on SMB target?
  • is Exasol planning on creating an Airflow ExasolSMBTransferOperator?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

jz
Contributor

I created the ExasolToSMBOperator.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

jz
Contributor

I created the ExasolToSMBOperator.

exa-FlorianT
Exasol Alumni

Hello Jz,

thank you for your message. Great to hear that you created a solution for the CSV export to SMB. Currently we are not planning to contribute in the Airflow Github Project.

We would appreciate if you like to share your solution with the community by creating a pull-Request in the Apache Airflow Project.

Regarding the native export of CSV files to an smb target, there has not been a demand from customers in the past. If this functionality is important to you, you are welcome to create an idea in our Ideation Portal. The more customers vote for this idea, the greater the chance that we will implement this feature in the future.

Kind regards,

Florian