Exasol Data in Microsoft Power Apps

Contributor

Hi guys,

I would like to connect some of the Power Apps I'm working on with Exasol data. However, I saw that there is no Exasol connector in Power Apps. Unfortunately, there is also no generic ODBC connector in Power Apps that we could theoretically use in combination with the Office 365 Data Gateway we use to refresh our Power BI datasets.

Does anyone of you know of a workaround to access Exasol data from within Microsoft Power Apps?

I'd really love to have an Exasol connector there, if possible 🙂

Regards
Andreas

8 REPLIES 8

Team Exasol
Team Exasol

@Andreas   Another workaround (as long as Exasol doesn't have it's own REST API) would be to use redash.io, a web based SQL Editor with visualization, which has a nice REST API to access query results as  JSON. 

Redash_REST_API.png

Contributor

Thanks, I'll give this also a try if the planned workaround via CDS won't work 🙂

Team Exasol
Team Exasol

@Kamal-Kishore   Thanks for sharing your thoughts regarding possible Workarounds. Really valuable information.

Regarding the development of a connector: As all Power Apps Connectors are API based we would first need to develop e.g. a  REST-API for executing queries.  

Please vote for this IDEA:

https://www.exasol.com/support/browse/IDEA-551

Team Exasol
Team Exasol

Hi Andreas,

did you have a look at this article yet:
https://docs.exasol.com/connect_exasol/bi_tools/ms_powerbi.htm
? Let us know if it helps (or not)!
Best,
Franz

Contributor

Thanks Franz, we are using Power BI with Exasol and the mentioned connectors already. They are great, but unfortunately do not help for Power Apps. 

Regards
Andreas

Contributor

Hi Franz,

The Power BI connectivity works fine. We have been using it a lot. Power Apps doesn't have the same connector available.

Thanks!

Contributor

One way I can think of is creating a table in MS Sql Server which sources from an External table via JDBC. MS Power Apps have connectors for these are data sources.

Common data service is another connector that lets you execute power query sourcing from OData service. You'll need to create an OData wrapper service on top of the tables/views that you want to source in Power Apps.

Contributor

Thanks, those were the two workarounds that we also had in mind by now. Good to have them confirmed here 🙂

Regards
Andreas