Exasol Community Edition - EXAClusterOS status: Not running

MatOd
Contributor

Hi All,

I have downloaded the 'EXASOL-Single-Node-7.0.11.ova'

I managed to solve the network issue that was preventing the VM from starting but I ended up with another issue. The  EXAClusterOS does not start. I tried rebooting the VM, starting it manually with no luck.

Any ideas how to solve it?

I am not able to proceed with certifications without access to an environment.

MatOd_0-1630396054948.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hitesh_Sajnani
Padawan

Thanks @exa-Kristof .

VirtualBox on mac + EXASOL-Single-Node-7.1.0.ova worked. 👍

Can connect to the Exasol instance using EXAplus.

EXAoperation portal also works.

3-working.png

Only one minor setting was required: Updated the network adapter to "Bridged Adapter" and "Wi-fi" as per the usage.

With default adapter:

1-network-error.png

After updating the network adapter:

2-fix-network.png

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Hitesh_Sajnani
Padawan

Facing the same issue with EXASOL-Single-Node-7.1.0.iso  (downloaded from the page: https://www.exasol.com/portal/display/DOWNLOAD/Version+7.1.0):

2-not running.png

Running it on Parallels Desktop 16.5.1 for Mac on macOS BigSur:

4-macOS info.png

Allocated 3 processors and 5 GB of RAM. Tried it multiple times, but NOT working.

Only one time, the EXACluster OS was running, but I was NOT able to connect to it using EXAplus. Also the EXAoperation status always remained offline. I did wait for almost 1 hour.

In the attempt to install the iso image again, now, the "start EXCluster OS" operation itself is failing:

1-could not start exacluster OS.png

Network configuration in mac (host OS) FYI:

3-mac-preferences.png

Any clues on how to proceed so that EXACluster OS and EXAoperation portal both run?

exa-Kristof
Team Exasol
Team Exasol

Hi @Hitesh_Sajnani,

when you're using the iso-file, have you followed the installation instructions described here (Option 3): https://docs.exasol.com/get_started/communityedition.htm#Step3ImportVirtualMachineImage

I have no experience with Parallels Desktop. Would VirtualBox on Mac + ova-file be an alternative?

Hitesh_Sajnani
Padawan

@exa-Kristof,

Yes, I did follow those instructions. 

In the sub-section "Initial System Configuration" (of https://docs.exasol.com/get_started/communityedition.htm#Step3ImportVirtualMachineImage), we need to launch the EXAoperation but it didn't work in this case.

Also, yes, now, I am on the way to try VirtualBox + ova file.

exa-Kristof
Team Exasol
Team Exasol

Did that work out for you? @Hitesh_Sajnani 

Hitesh_Sajnani
Padawan

Thanks @exa-Kristof .

VirtualBox on mac + EXASOL-Single-Node-7.1.0.ova worked. 👍

Can connect to the Exasol instance using EXAplus.

EXAoperation portal also works.

3-working.png

Only one minor setting was required: Updated the network adapter to "Bridged Adapter" and "Wi-fi" as per the usage.

With default adapter:

1-network-error.png

After updating the network adapter:

2-fix-network.png

View solution in original post

exa-MathiasHo
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @MatOd,

Did you succeed in your quest? Let us know where you are stuck or need further help.

Best regards,
Mathias

exa-Uwe

Hi MatOd,

did you wait for the stack to come up a bit? It may take up to 15 minutes for it to start completely, depending on the power of your local machine. There should be no need for you to start anything manually and the refresh of the maintenance screen is done automatically with the ova install.

Best regards

Uwe

MatOd
Contributor

I have let the machine run for more than 1h. In Task Manager it barely uses any resources but the services still have not started.

exa-Uwe

Give us some more details then:

What is your local machine with what OS?

What virtualization SW do you use (e.g. VirtualBox)?

In the meantime while you're still stuck with the VM: You can get an account free of charge for our public demo cloud where you can do the labs of most of our courses as well. Check out https://www.exasol.com/test-it-now/cloud/

MatOd
Contributor

Thank you for the tip on the trial version. I will use it for now.

Still no luck with the VM. I am on Win10 Pro, i5-4200U, 8GB running Oracle VM VirtualBox 6.1.26.

exa-Uwe

Your setup looks very common and should not be an issue. How's your virtualbox host-only adapter looking like? With some versions of VirtualBox you need to add a host-only adapter manually:

exaUwe_0-1630559142126.pngexaUwe_1-1630559190640.png