Disk Space / Storage Increase on Single Node in AWS

magarb
Contributor

Hello there,

I am running a single node / cluster Exasol database on an EC2 Instance in AWS, which for I used the deployment wizard to create. Initially, there was an EBS Volume with the size of 39 GiB attached to the ec2 Instance (thereof 24 GiB persistent, 1 GiB temporary, 13 GiB free memory (mostly used temporary). With this constellation I am running out of disk space with my current SQL statements, since data is increasing constantly.

Goal:

I wish to increase the disk space or storage, respectively.

Issue:

I tried desperately several ways, which I found in the community, Exasol manual, and the internet, to achieve the goal, but I did not work out due to several described below:

1. Besides the initial EBS volume (/dev/xvdb) I added another volume of 200 GiB to my EC2 Instance /dev/sda1. Nevertheless, I can not detect this volume in ExaStorage (see attached picture). When selecting “v0000” and “Add Volume” I am only able to increase to the maximum in sum of 38 GiB.  When pressing “Add Unused Disks” nothing happens at all, why?
  2. I also tried to increase (modify) the EBS volume in use to 50 GiB. However, this did not work, because Exasol does not recognize the change modification. I read that I have to use the Cloud UI, which I did. But then the error occurred (see Cloud UI picture). I guess this is due to the fact, that I use a single node as data and license node (see picture Nodes). Unfortunately, I am also not able to add nodes (I guess that every node is one separate EC2 instance, which should also be over-engineered to increase disk space only).
  3. I also read that I maybe need to re-partition my EBS volume. Since I used the deployment wizard and created a Cloud formation stack in AWS, I was able choose the existing key pair, but I cannot connect to the ec2 Instance over ssh. None of the existing users or the “admin” are able to connect to the server via putty and the keys. So how could I repartition the disks or connect to the ec2 instance?
  4. Moreover, I did a backup and tried to create a new cloud formation stack. Unfortunately, the creation process was rolled-back due to an error, because the “route” already exists (although I user other names for the stack, labels, etc.).
  5. In addition, I tried to instantiate an Exasol database instance vie AWS Single Node BYOL, where I conquered the same problems (additional space, no login to ec2 instance, low disk space, etc.).

How can I solve the supposed easy task? I appreciate your help.

Best

Marius

5 REPLIES 5

exa-Halil
Team Exasol
Team Exasol

Hi Marius,

Thanks for detailed information about your problem.

Is this still an ongoing issue for you? If yes, could you please update your CloudUI from 1.1.4 to 1.1.4-3, , and try once again?. You can find the update package in here

Best regards
Halil

magarb
Contributor

Hi exa-Halil,

thanks for asking. Unfortunaley, the problem has not been solved, yet. 

I get the same error. By the way, the python error also occurs for the user drumcircle (at the buttom) from this post: https://community.exasol.com/t5/discussion-forum/exasol-cloud-ui-not-working-after-cloud-ui-back-end...

Best, Marius

magarb
Contributor

Hi Uwe,

thanks for the quick answer. This is one of the things I tried. Unfortunately, my uploaded photos are not displayed, so I try it a second time.

As you can I see I get the error below (with both 6.2.4 and 7.0.4 and Cloud UI 1.1.4). The error message (ListIndex out of range) points to an index error, which I suppose to come from non existing data nodes.

CloudUI.PNG

exa-Uwe

Hi Marius,

sorry, but I cannot help with this then. Maybe someone else from the community can.

Best regards

Uwe

exa-Uwe

Hi Marius,

doing this manually is a bit hard. Why don't you use Cloud UI for that to make your life easier?

Check out this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y48an5NZW3s

Minute 7 ff talks about your task specifically.

Best regards

Uwe