Community Edition 7.0.5 VM under Hyper-V broken?

Contributor

Hi all,

Trying to do an eval on the Exasol product.  Downloaded and installed the CE VM (ISO version / 7.0.5) on Hyper-V without any problems at all.  Everything starts *except* the EXAoperations service (stubbornly) stays offline.  This means that I cannot https into the management console, and also cannot remotely connect with (say) JDBC.  I can ssh in no probs and I know I have no firewall blocking.  Netstat shows no listener on ports 80 or 443.

I have done a VBox setup of the 7.0.5 CE OVA image and everything runs fine.

Any clues?  Any info on what logs I should be looking at to diagnose this, or commands to use to force the service to start?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Contributor

I am happy to say that the just-released 7.0.6 ISO version works perfectly.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Hi acrey1,

using the ISO file is more complex and error prone than using the OVA file. The ISO method requires you to actually do an installation with many ways you can go wrong, whereas the OVA method will just import a preconfigured VM with everything in place. Having said that, I'd recommend you use the OVA method on Hyper-V same as you did with VirtualBox.

I just realized you can't import OVA to Hyper-V 😔 Maybe this article is helpful: https://uhesse.com/2019/09/13/installing-an-exasol-20-cluster-on-hyper-v/

I recall it was a bit tricky to get the network configuration right, which may be the cause of your issue here as well. All I say there about installing the license server should apply for the community edition installation as well. You can just skip the part where more nodes are being added.

Best regards

Uwe

Contributor

So, interestingly enough, if I use vBox and repeat the setup using the ISO (i.e. I don't use the prebuilt OVA appliance), I get the *same* problem.

I do not believe that the current CE ISO version has been QA'ed through to completion and full running (?).

Uwe, your article parallels what I did, and the network config is correct (I am running a dozen *nix VMs on the same Hyper-V, with various flavours and mix of normal and legacy network configs.)

So, here's a shout-out to find out whether there is actually anyone who has 7.0.5 CE ISO working under either vBox or Hyper-V?

Adam.

I have just checked with VirtualBox and it works for me:

exa-Uwe_0-1610539618149.png

One thing that is different from the OVA usage: You need to login as the maintenance user and hit the refresh button manually. Then after about 5 Minutes, the status of EXAoperation changes to online.

This confirms it's a CE:

exa-Uwe_1-1610539789778.png

Also different to the OVA method is that no data volume and no database is created yet.

Best regards

Uwe

Contributor

Hi Uwe,

Thanks for the feedback - unfortunately, the EXAoperation status never goes from offline to online - regardless of wait time and number of refreshes.  Hence my OP - what logs I should be looking at to diagnose this, or commands to use to force the service to start?

Adam.

Contributor

I am happy to say that the just-released 7.0.6 ISO version works perfectly.

View solution in original post