Fully managed cloud. 30-day FREE full featured trial. Start Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cluster bonding configuration question

ChoiJaeil
Padawan

According to the exasol document, to configure bonding by configuring a separate cicn, set 2 vlans on 1 switch and then configure the license node to communicate with 2 cicns through vlan tagging.
My environment has 1 license nodes and 5 data nodes. each have 4 nic and  2 physical L2 switches .
Is it possible to set bonding without logical vlan configuration in such an environment?

If private node and private node bonding are set as separate nic when installing license node, it is configured as bonding mode 1 (master-slave), so network redundancy does not seem to be applied.

In my opinion, when exasol cluster bonding is configured, Linux bonding mode 0 (load balancing) is configured, and when configured as failover, Linux bonding mode 1 (master slave) is configured.
Are you technically correct?

2 REPLIES 2

ChoiJaeil
Padawan

to solve my question, I experimented and came to the following conclusions:

1. exasol Bonding through two private networks is applications level bonding.
it is not linux bonding.

2. Article by exa-RubenC https://community.exasol.com/t5/environment-management/bonding-on-exasol-cluster/ta-p/3523 is about a fail over bondig in a single private network.
it is not bonding for Network switch redundancy

3. In EXAoperation 'Configuration>network>add private network '  'bonding network' option is for linux active-slave configuration.
if use application level bonding on two private network it should not be set to

4. the exasol installation screen does not provide for physically setting two private networks
installation screen only privide 802.1q tagging vlan network interface
to configure second private physical network nic    access with Linux root privileges and configure the second private network.

I want to make sure that my conclusion is correct.

exa-Seyidagha
Exasol Alumni

When you configure an "Additional Network" and add a "Bonding network" to it you are basically creating a type 1 bond with the network you've selected. When you do not select a network for "Bonding network" you are creating a completely separate "network" that you can assign for either the storage or the database to use. This is useful for clusters with many nodes and a lot of load where you want to separate the database and storage traffic so that they can cause less overall load on the NIC. You can create 2 networks (1 for DB, 1 for storage) and have an additional interface assigned to them for fault tolerance. The subnet for the "new network" will be assigned automatically by EXAOperation. You can also add "additional networks" for the public network too.

You can do LACP, tagging and all other network configurations supported by the underlying OS via the root user, but we do not recommend doing it by yourself. If you want to configure tagging, LACP, please contact support.