CloudFormation failing

drumcircle
Rising Star

Trying to create a new cluster using cloud tools.  It's rolling back before completion, with this error:

Custom Resource failed to stabilize in expected time. If you are using the Python cfn-response module, you may need to update your Lambda function code so that CloudFormation can attach the updated version.

9 REPLIES 9

exa-Chris
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi, thanks for the notification. I alerted the team internally. Christian

Connecting Customers, Partners, Prospects and Exasolians is my passion. Apart from that I cycle, listen to music, and try to understand what all those technical discussions really mean...

Jatinder_Singh
Contributor

hello @exa-Chris 

Thanks!! I opened this issue --> EXA-33107 

drumcircle
Rising Star

Yes, AWS and like you, I've used this before successfully.  

I started over, restored the database, and it worked fine.

mwellbro
Xpert

Hi @drumcircle ,

just created a 2-node m5-instance cluster at AWS in Frankfurt, seems to work as intended:

mwellbro_0-1616868074238.png

As your error message indicated usage of a Lambda function I assume your test was also performed with AWS ?

I used the "download CloudFormation" way and deployed into an already previously created VPC - same on your end ?

What was the cluster size ( idea: maybe provisioning of an onDemand instance took a wee bit to long ? Just a guess though.. ).

Maybe you could post the complete "stack trace" from the creation, that might give some insight into what´s going on.

Cheers,
Malte

Jatinder_Singh
Contributor

hello @mwellbro 

Thanks. I also encountered the same issue as @drumcircle. The Cloudformation template I tested for Ireland which didn't work, but the Frankfurt template did work. I checked the template and there are different AMIs used per area, so it could be that Ireland (or other regions) the template has this bug of python module. I would suggest if you @mwellbro can test it for Ireland and continue trouble shooting from there. 

Best regards,

Jatinder Singh 

mwellbro
Xpert

Hi @Jatinder_Singh ,

can´t verify the trouble you two seem to be having:

mwellbro_0-1619127597227.png

The first stack blew up because I had not yet subscribed to the marketplace AMI ( took about 7 minutes for the stack to realize that...well, silly me....).

After about 30 minutes the 2-node-m5.large cluster was ready:

mwellbro_1-1619127725177.png

Maybe I would have run into the problem if my "first try" would have had all the prerequisites...but somehow seems unlikely...just a feeling...

I downloaded a fresh CF-template from https://cloudtools.exasol.com/#/ with Ireland selected and used the "new VNET" variety...

If you get anything out of EXA-33107 , please do tell 😃

Cheers,
Malte

Jatinder_Singh
Contributor

Hello @mwellbro 

Awesome !! 

I launched it again and it worked like a charm !! 

Thank you !! 

Community Rocks!! 

mwellbro
Xpert

and just a little update:

mwellbro_0-1619132939702.png

don´t remember seeing this when tearing down the cluster in Frankfurt - this makes me all the more excited to hear your results from EXA-33107 , @Jatinder_Singh .

mwellbro
Xpert

Hi @Jatinder_Singh , 

I´ll have a look at it "after hours" to see if it´ll turn out the same way on my end.

Cheers,
Malte