Fully managed cloud. 30-day FREE full featured trial. Start Now
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cloud tools / performance vs. EXAoperation

drumcircle
Rising Star

I'm observing that the Cloud Tools UI is taking a very long time to perform resize operations, more than 1 hour to add 2 nodes to a test cluster for example.  Is cluster resizing and instance resizing actually any slower than the "old fashioned" way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

drumcircle
Rising Star

It has been suggested that CloudTools automatically runs a reorganize command on the cluster, which is an expensive operation.  It's not clear if scaling up/down CPU only, also triggers reorganize.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

mwellbro
Xpert

Hi @drumcircle ,

not that I´d remember it to be significantly slower....

Could you give a few more details: manage- and data node instance class , region and az ( I´m again assuming AWS - if not: which provider ? ).
Also: how big in terms of storage is your cluster at the point of the resize ? And what kind of storage is it ? ( gp2 or hdd or X ? )

Since those were probably on demand instances: did you check "VM provisioning time" ?

Cheers,
Malte

drumcircle
Rising Star

AWS upgrade of 2 nodes from m5a.4xlarge to m5a.16xlarge took almost 2 hours with Cloud Tools.

I've done instance upgrades like that in < 15 minutes without.  There is a BigTable parameter that is tricky so I like using Cloud Tools if I want more memory available, but often instances are CPU not RAM limited.

Perhaps yesterday was a bad day in US-EAST-2

exa-Chris
Exasol Alumni
Hi @drumcircle, let me have one of the cloud engineers have a look into this. As we are heading into the Easter Weekend, that might take till Tuesday if that is OK. Rgds Christian

drumcircle
Rising Star

Sure thing.  I had to restart EXASolution and CloudTools a few times yesterday.  This is not constructive feedback per se and not a behavior I'm accustomed to, perhaps my install is foobar somehow.  But no data corruption to note and no reduction in run-time query performance.

drumcircle
Rising Star

It has been suggested that CloudTools automatically runs a reorganize command on the cluster, which is an expensive operation.  It's not clear if scaling up/down CPU only, also triggers reorganize.