Can't change query timeout for session

andreeroos
SQL-Fighter

Hi.

I want to chage the query time out parameter, but have run into some problems.
I can change the system value for this parameter, but not the session one.

andreeroos_1-1630481882430.png

andreeroos_3-1630481932186.png

What might be causing this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mwellbro
Xpert

Hi andreeroos,

can´t seem to reproduce this , neither with DBeaver nor EXAplus - a few random thoughts:

1) Query-Cache-Malfunction ? ( Would be a bug, seems highly unlikely, check exa_dba_audit_sql , column execution_mode )
2) Something to do with the Commit-setting in DBeaver ? ALTER SESSION SET QUERY_TIMEOUT=xyz is subject to commit/rollback ( also strange, as long as we are talking about the same session you do the set and the check ? )
3) You set it in one session and then check with another session ? In this case DBeaver will in all likelyhood override your previously ( and only to the session it was issued in applicable ) set SESSION QUERY_TIMEOUT ( check Driver Properties in DBeaver, see screenshot 😞

mwellbro_0-1630527630767.png

Hope something of this might be of use.

Cheers,
Malte

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mwellbro
Xpert

Hi andreeroos,

can´t seem to reproduce this , neither with DBeaver nor EXAplus - a few random thoughts:

1) Query-Cache-Malfunction ? ( Would be a bug, seems highly unlikely, check exa_dba_audit_sql , column execution_mode )
2) Something to do with the Commit-setting in DBeaver ? ALTER SESSION SET QUERY_TIMEOUT=xyz is subject to commit/rollback ( also strange, as long as we are talking about the same session you do the set and the check ? )
3) You set it in one session and then check with another session ? In this case DBeaver will in all likelyhood override your previously ( and only to the session it was issued in applicable ) set SESSION QUERY_TIMEOUT ( check Driver Properties in DBeaver, see screenshot 😞

mwellbro_0-1630527630767.png

Hope something of this might be of use.

Cheers,
Malte

View solution in original post

andreeroos
SQL-Fighter
3) You set it in one session and then check with another session ? In this case DBeaver will in all likelyhood override your previously ( and only to the session it was issued in applicable ) set SESSION QUERY_TIMEOUT ( check Driver Properties in DBeaver, see screenshot 

This was what was causing it. I was working in different tabs and I didnt' expect this to be an issue.
Thanks for the help! 👍

skarangi
SQL-Fighter
  • If a value is changed through ALTER SYSTEM, it will only impact new connections to the database.

May be due to this reason? Can you check with new connection and see if problem still persists.