Add new disks to existing nodes

danila
SQL-Fighter

Do I understand correctly that there is no way of adding new disks to existing nodes without reinstalling those nodes?
And since nodes will be reinstalled, the data they store will be lost, and I'll have to restore the backup to get my data back?

I've read this article https://community.exasol.com/t5/environment-management/add-new-exastorage-disks-without-reinstalling... by @exa-Catalin . But he says that if I follow his manual, then already existing volumes cannot be used for this disk. However, the disk can be used for new data/archive volumes.

UPD:

Looks like there is a way to add disks without reinstalling nodes, and to existing volumes at the same time.
I followed @exa-Catalin 's manual, but instead of step 4 I did following:

• Set "To install" flag on the node
  • Open the disk overview
  • Open the Edit for the storage disk
  • Add new device (e.g. /dev/sdc) and click Apply
  • Set "Active" flag on the node

The only weird thing I noticed is that exa_volume_usage view now shows slightly wrong results.

Before upgrade:

TABLESPACEVOLUME_IDIPROCREDUNDANCYHDD_TYPEHDD_COUNTHDD_FREEVOLUME_SIZE
PERSISTENT002d03_storage1112
PERSISTENT012d03_storage1112
TEMPORARY201d03_storage1111
TEMPORARY211d03_storage1111

After upgrade:

TABLESPACEVOLUME_IDIPROCREDUNDANCYHDD_TYPEHDD_COUNTHDD_FREEVOLUME_SIZE
PERSISTENT002d03_storage122.92
PERSISTENT012d03_storage122.92
TEMPORARY201d03_storage222.91
TEMPORARY211d03_storage222.91

As you can see, on temporary volume it shows that there are 2 HHDs, but on persistent volume it still shows 1 HDD.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

exa-Catalin
Team Exasol
Team Exasol

Hello @danila ,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Unfortunately, as mentioned in the documentation, there is no way to add disks to a node without reinstalling it. The reason you are able to see the 2 disks in the temporary volume is due to the fact that the temporary volume is being deleted and recreated each time you stop and, respectively, start the database, therefore recognizing the new configuration.

On the other hand, the persistent volume never gets deleted and recreated by the system since it is persistent, which is why it can only see 1 disk. In order to have it recognize the disks, you will have to reinstall the nodes and recreate the volume and then perform a backup restore from the remote archive volume.

We strongly recommend following the instructions in our documentation or if there are any questions, please reach out to us so that we can assist you, otherwise, it could lead to the system having issues of varying severity.

Best Regards,

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

exa-Catalin
Team Exasol
Team Exasol

Hello @danila ,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

Unfortunately, as mentioned in the documentation, there is no way to add disks to a node without reinstalling it. The reason you are able to see the 2 disks in the temporary volume is due to the fact that the temporary volume is being deleted and recreated each time you stop and, respectively, start the database, therefore recognizing the new configuration.

On the other hand, the persistent volume never gets deleted and recreated by the system since it is persistent, which is why it can only see 1 disk. In order to have it recognize the disks, you will have to reinstall the nodes and recreate the volume and then perform a backup restore from the remote archive volume.

We strongly recommend following the instructions in our documentation or if there are any questions, please reach out to us so that we can assist you, otherwise, it could lead to the system having issues of varying severity.

Best Regards,

View solution in original post