Accessing host file system

andreeroos
SQL-Fighter

Hi.

I'm running the Community Edition on my Win10 pc and are wondering how I can access files on my PC to use in Python UDF's.

Anyone who knows?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

mwellbro
Xpert

Hi @andreeroos ,

does it have to be your host system ? If you think along the lines of an actual deployment of a cluster / exasolo you´d probably not have access to the machine running your exasol instance ( more often than not I´d assume ).

Would it be an option to expose those files via (s)ftp or ( maybe a bit overkill ) S3 ? You might also , depending on the size of those file , think about putting them into bucketFS which
would make accessing them from a UDF probably a whole lot easier ( I think you can then use a connection object to interface with them, haven´t done that yet though ).

Since your UDF´s run inside their own little VM´s which in turn run inside your exasol system I´d think that it´s at least not done without some "serious voodoo" ( but I look forward to being corrected by exa-* 🙂  ).

Cheers,
Malte

View solution in original post

exa-Nico
Community Manager
Community Manager

I agree with @mwellbro - there won't be a way to make a direct connection in your UDF to access something like "C://Users/abc/Documents...". You could create an SFTP server on your local machine which is mapped to one of your folders on your machine and access it using SFTP within your UDF (you can store the credential information in a CONNECTION like described here). Of course other options like S3 are also fine. I would avoid using BucketFS for storing files like that because if the VM fails, those files are then lost and are not included in any backup. 

Sports Enthusiast. Database Guy. Member of Team Exasol.
Having trouble? Just let me know!

Please Give Kudos if you find this post useful and also mark this as Accepted Solution if this is the required solution

4 REPLIES 4

mwellbro
Xpert

Hi @andreeroos ,

does it have to be your host system ? If you think along the lines of an actual deployment of a cluster / exasolo you´d probably not have access to the machine running your exasol instance ( more often than not I´d assume ).

Would it be an option to expose those files via (s)ftp or ( maybe a bit overkill ) S3 ? You might also , depending on the size of those file , think about putting them into bucketFS which
would make accessing them from a UDF probably a whole lot easier ( I think you can then use a connection object to interface with them, haven´t done that yet though ).

Since your UDF´s run inside their own little VM´s which in turn run inside your exasol system I´d think that it´s at least not done without some "serious voodoo" ( but I look forward to being corrected by exa-* 🙂  ).

Cheers,
Malte

exa-Nico
Community Manager
Community Manager

I agree with @mwellbro - there won't be a way to make a direct connection in your UDF to access something like "C://Users/abc/Documents...". You could create an SFTP server on your local machine which is mapped to one of your folders on your machine and access it using SFTP within your UDF (you can store the credential information in a CONNECTION like described here). Of course other options like S3 are also fine. I would avoid using BucketFS for storing files like that because if the VM fails, those files are then lost and are not included in any backup. 

Sports Enthusiast. Database Guy. Member of Team Exasol.
Having trouble? Just let me know!

Please Give Kudos if you find this post useful and also mark this as Accepted Solution if this is the required solution

andreeroos
SQL-Fighter

The easiest way for me was to start an FTP server on my PC.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-set-and-manage-ftp-server-windows-10

This made it easy ta access the files in my Python script.

mwellbro
Xpert

Funny story.... I tried to use the "shared folder" feature of oracle virtual box and told it to auto mount C:\temp as shared folder into the guest OS...seems like
that ended up destroying some meta info because I no longer see the previously existing volumn once EXAStorage has started...

Does anyone ( @exa-Uwe , maybe ? ) know a way to set this right ?

It´s an EXA-7.0.4 SingleNode OVA....