jwarlander
Xpert

As described in the README of the project, Redata is aimed at monitoring the data in your database, rather than the database itself:

"Monitoring system for data teams. Computing health checks on data (via Airflow jobs), visualizing them over time, and alerting on them in Grafana."

Overview

Redata runs scheduled checks that compute health metrics for your data, containing information like:

• time since last record was added
  • number of records added in last (hour/day/week/month)
  • schema changes that recently happened
  • number of nulls in columns over time
  • other checks specific to columns in data and their types

As a result, you get automatically generated dashboards in Grafana.

For example, an overview of all tables with some brief ingestion and freshness statistics:

redata_home.png

Additionally, a detailed dashboard for each table, similar to this: 

redata_per_table.png

Project Status

Redata is still in a very early pre-release stage, yet already usable thanks to relying on well-known tools like Airflow for scheduling checks, and Grafana for presenting dashboards.

There are of course limitations; each data source can only monitor one schema, for example (though you could set up different schemas as different data sources that each indicate a different default schema). It's also likely that change will come frequently in the beginning. To us, the usefulness makes it well worth taking on some risk of having to manage these types of changes.

Exasol Support

Basic Exasol support is in place, using PyEXASOL to avoid dependencies on ODBC drivers and configuration.

On my part, I'll be working on continuously to improve this integration when it comes to performance etc, as we deploy Redata at work to get better awareness of the quality of our data, problems with missing or delayed data from source systems, and assumptions that may no longer hold true. Our experience is that most of the issues we've had with our data flows would be detectable with a tool like this, and some simple alerting on when statistics start to fall outside their regular weekly rhythm.

The difference from our regular data quality monitoring, I would say, is that this type of approach is scalable. It can check every table, all of the time. It doesn't always replace other types of checks, that are perhaps customized to work with very specific business knowledge about the data, but it can take care of the 80% you probably wouldn't reach otherwise.

Finally, if you're curious about Redata, do try it out -- and definitely feel free to suggest (or contribute) changes to improve the Exasol integration, or the Redata functionality in general!
You can find me on the Redata Slack (see invite link in README ), or here of course.