exa-Valerie
Team Exasol
Team Exasol

Migration Guide

This article adresses some common topics when migrating from SQL Server to Exasol. It focuses on topics that arise when you have already loaded a few tables over. If you haven't already, have a look at connecting to SQL Server from Exasol and the database migration script for yor very first steps of loading data over.

Topic

SQL Server

Exasol

Syntax - Schemas

USE [my_schema]
OPEN SCHEMA "my_schema";

Syntax - Quotes

SQL Server uses square brackets a lot.

SELECT [my_col] FROM [my_table];

Exasol's default way of quoting is with double quotes:

SELECT "my_col" FROM "my_table";

Quoting with square brackets is also supported, however as double quotes are more Exasol-style, use double quotes if you have the choice.

Common functions

ISNULL →

GETDATE →

CHARINDEX →

COALESCE

CURRENT_TIMESTAMP

LOCATE

Functions

There are some SQL Server typical functions like EOMONTH, DATEADD, CONVERT_TO_DATE, PATINDEX, …

SELECT EOMONTH('2019-02-15');​

These functions are not automatically shipped with Exasol, but you can easily add them:

Download the functions you need from EXA_TOOLBOX and change the function calls in your SQL so that they use the schema-qualified version:

SELECT EXA_TOOLBOX.EOMONTH('2019-02-15');​

Or alternatively, create the function EOMONTH from the Toolbox in the schema that you later on want to use it, e.g.:

--/
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION "my_schema".EOMONTH(date_in IN TIMESTAMP) 
… 
/

SELECT EOMONTH('2019-02-15');​
Stored Procedures

Stored procedures are often used for ETL scripting with multiple steps.

Here is a simple example, that performs some normalizations:

CREATE procedure [procs].[normalizeGenderData] (
 @femaleGenderName VARCHAR(20),
 @maleGenderName VARCHAR(20))
as
begin
  UPDATE Customers SET Gender=@femaleGenderName WHERE (Gender='f' OR Gender='fe');
  UPDATE Customers SET Gender=@maleGenderName WHERE (Gender='m' OR Gender='ma');
end
GO

Exasol also a basic set of function, however if you used Stored Procedures in SQL Server, it's recommended to translate them into Lua Scripts in Exasol.

An equivalent Lua Script to the stored procedure example looks like this:

--/
CREATE OR REPLACE SCRIPT "procs"."normalizeGenderData"(femaleGenderName, maleGenderName) 
   RETURNS ROWCOUNT AS

query([[open schema RETAIL]])
   rows_updated = 0
   res = query([[UPDATE "Customers" SET GENDER=:fgn WHERE (GENDER='f' OR GENDER='fe')]], {fgn=femaleGenderName})
   rows_updated = rows_updated + res.rows_updated

res = query([[UPDATE "Customers" SET GENDER=:mgn WHERE (GENDER='m' OR GENDER='ma')]], {mgn=maleGenderName})
   rows_updated = rows_updated + res.rows_updated
   exit({rows_affected=rows_updated})

/

You have further useful tips for SQL Server to Exasol Migrations? Let us know so that other users can benefit from them too!

Version history
Revision #:
7 of 7
Last update:
‎17-06-2020 02:14 PM
Updated by:

Contributors