Using a direct message is an easy way to follow up on a question, or comment on an article or going deeper without being too public. (Don't spam and please remember the Community Guidelines) There are a few simple steps to follow to enable you to send messages
1. Make sure Direct Messages work for your account
Direct messaging is enabled for all users that have a verified e-Mail Adress. So, first we need to make sure your account is able to send and receive Messages:
There are three simple steps to ensure you have the right to send messages. If you see the envelope beside your Profile Picture on top of the page, you are already enabled. If not...
Verify your account
- Klick on the Profile Icon and select "mySettings", you can also change the picture if you want.
- Check if "Email verification status" is on verified and "Don't send me any communication emails" is not ticked.
- If your account is not verifies, press "Send me the verification e-mail again" and proceed.
(if this does not work or you have any other issue - send an e-mail to Community@exasol.com and we will help you.
- Verify your E-Mail (might be in your Spam)
- you should now see the Envelope beside your Profile Picture (you changed it, didn't you?)
2. See you inbox and checking Messages
Checking your inbox
- Usually you should now see the Envelope on top of your page and it has a red number indicating the number of unread direct messages.
- If you click on the Symbol it takes you to your direct messaging inbox
- to read any of the messages, just klick on the message header "Congratulations...." and it will take you to the message
- the Options menue gives you further actions on the mail box
3. Reply to a Message
Reply to a message
- as soon you have opened the Message with a klick on the Header, you will find the Delete and Reply Buttons at the End of the message
- Reply will take you to the compose message page, the text of the last message will be at the end of the page
4. Sending a new Message
Write a new message
- If you have hit 'Reply' the Sent To box will be automatically populated, if not or if you want to add additional recipients. Start typing the username. As soon as you enter three or more characters it will provide you with a list of potential users. (users without enabled messaging will not be shown)
- If you need more options to format your message you will find three little dots in the message body to give you access to more options.
- You need write more than fits your message window. The triangle at the bottom right of the window allows you to scale the window
- Done? Just Cancel 😉 or send your message.
Message from Profile
You have seen an article, or a reply that sparks your interest. But you do not want to ask in public?
- Klick on the Username of the User you want to contact
- Klick on "Send Message" and you can reach out to them directly
I hope this helps you using the Direct Messaging System in the community. If you have any further questions, just send me a Direct Message...